Some like it HOT-spicy that is!
- 4 potatoes diced
- 1 onions finely chopped into half-rings
- 1-2 Tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp channa dal split, polished baby garbanzo beans
- 1-2 tsp urad dal* lentil
- 3 - 4 dried red chilies
- Chili powder to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot heat about 5 tablespoons of oil. When hot, throw in mustard seeds and sauté until they all pop. Then, add in dals, and dried chilies sauteing until they turn golden brown at which point add the chopped onions.
- Sauté until the onions turn golden brownish (add a little more oil, if necessary). Add the diced potatoes and about 3/4-1 cup of water. Mix well then add the remaining seasonings.
- Cook the potatoes down over medium-low heat keeping the pot covered and stirring about every 7 minutes until soft.