Saffron, the most expensive ingredient on the planet, is actually the stamen of a crocus flower. They are painstakingly hand harvested, with each crocus only containing 3-4 threads. Although the flavor of these tiny filaments are so strong, that it only takes a few to flavor a whole dish.
When buying saffron, looking for packages that contain mostly red threads. Packages with predominantly yellow threads are of lower quality and flavor. This is one spice where you definitely get what you pay for – the better the quality, the higher the price.
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa rinsed
- 3 cups GF chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- ½ tsp saffron thread crumbled
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Combine everything in a covered saucepan, except oil, and boil until liquid is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and gently toss to mix.