By just changing the type of pasta you use, it can go from a kids meal (elbow macaroni) to a meal fit for your dinner guests (rigatoni)!
|Sophisticated Mac 'N Cheese|| |
- 1 cup GF bread crumbs (dry or fresh)
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1½ Tbsp tapioca or cornstarch
- 2¾ cups half-and-half (or milk or milk alternative-the result will be more or less creamy)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper*
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar, grated
- ½ cup Gruyere cheese*, grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 8 ounces GF rigatoni, or your favorite shaped pasta
- Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than indicated on package. When done, drain and rinse in cold water to stop cooking.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter and toss with bread crumbs until fully coated. Set aside.
- Put half-and-half in a 3 quart sauce pan. Add starch, and slowly heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat. Add cheddar and Gruyere cheeses, stirring until melted. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cayenne. Add pasta and mix well.
- Pour into buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle Parmesan on top. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F, or until browned.