Tomatoes make the perfect edible container. Scoop out the pulp, and these juicy little cups can be served baked or fresh.
In this dish, they are loaded with veggies, sausage, herbs, and a bit of cheese. Have two, and they are filling enough as a main course!
Sausage & Basil Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 large tomatoes with stems
- 3-4 GF sweet Italian sausages casings removed
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 green pepper finely diced
- 1/4 onion finely diced
- 1/2 stalk celery with leaves finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup GF bread cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pinenuts
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Slice the top off the tomato (reserve), then scoop out the pulp inside. Sprinkle with salt and let sit upside to drain any excess moisture.
- In a hot skillet with oil, fry the sausage, seasoning, green pepper, onion, celery and garlic until the sausage is fully cooked.
- Transfer sausage mixture to a food processor, add bread cubes and pulse until evenly chopped. Stuff into the tomatoes,and place in a greased oven proof dish (put tomato tops in dish beside tomatoes).
- In the food processor, combine the basil, walnuts and cheese and pulse until smooth. Sprinkle on top of the sausage, then bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and put the tops gently back on top of the stuffed tomatoes.