Ham, turkey and Swiss cheese are surrounded in puff pastry and baked until crisp and golden. Instead of the usual condiments, try something a bit different like fig jam or chutney for a burst of flavor and a touch of sweetness.
A traditional Monte Cristo sandwich is dipped in an egg mixture then fried until golden brown. Here we use buttery gluten-free puff pastry to create the crispy crust that surrounds all the yummy fillings.
Roll out the pastry to 1/4″ thick, then use a pizza wheel to cut squares of about 6″x6″ – or make them into bite size appies if you like!
Fill with meat and cheeses, and top with condiments of your choice – like mustard, chutney, or fig jam.
Moisten the edges of the pastry with water, fold over, and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. You can brush the packets with an egg wash if you like, this will give it a lovely golden color.
Baked Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water optional
- GF Puff Pastry
- 4 GF deli Black Forest ham thinly sliced
- 4 GF deli Turkey thinly sliced
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Fig Jam
- Mango Chutney
- GF Dijon Mustard
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the egg and water (omit this step for egg-free). Set aside.
- On a floured surface (I use tapioca flour), roll pastry out to a 12” square, about 1/4" thick. Cut into 4 squares (or smaller if you want to make bite-sized ones).
- Place a folded slice of ham near the corner of each square of dough (leave ½” space to allow for folding). Add some cheese and a bit of the condiment of your choice. Brush the edges of the dough with water, then fold the pastry over to form a triangle. Press the edges together to seal, then crimp with a fork.
- If desired, brush with egg wash (to create a golden crust), place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.