Flaky pastry and so rich in flavor. Perfect for recipes needing a savory crust like quiche, empanadas, or chicken pot pie.
Cream Cheese Pie Crust / Pastry
- 1/4 cup butter cubed & chilled
- 1/4 cup GF shortening cubed & chilled
- 1/2 cup GF cream cheese softened & mashed smooth
- 1 cup GFC All-Purpose Flour Blend for Baking
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse for 18 to 20 seconds, until finely crumbled. Small bits of butter and shortening are fine - you don't want it completely smooth and creamed.
- Test dough by pinching with fingers - it should hold together. Since the cream cheese has quite a bit of moisture in it already, this recipe doesn't require the addition of water to help the dough come together.
- Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough to size on a floured surface. Place pastry into a greased pie plate, and trim edges with a sharp knife. Pinch to form a decorative edge if desired.
- Place pie plate in fridge for 30 minutes, to chill dough again after handling. Then bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden.