Butternut squash adds a great color and flavor to these potatoes.
Scalloped Potatoes with Butternut Squash
- 1 cup leeks white parts thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup cream or milk alternative mixed with 2 Tbsp rice flour
- 1 cup GF chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 1-2 garlic minced
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled & seeded
- 1 1/4 cups sharp cheddar cheese optional
- Sauté leeks in butter for about 4 minutes. Add cream, broth and seasonings, and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice (1/8") potatoes and squash, and layer into a greased casserole dish. Pour hot liquid over potatoes, cover and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes until soft.
- If desired, sprinkle cheese on top and place back in oven until cheese is melted. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving (allows liquid to thicken).