Salad doesn't have to include lettuce! You'll never miss it in this fresh veggie salad that is bursting with flavor - thanks to marinating them in the dressing ahead of time.
To make the carrots really curly, place the shaved carrots in a bowl of ice water - the longer they are in there, the more curled up they will become! Place the bowl in the fridge to speed the curling process, depending on how thin you were able to shave the carrots it could take 30 minutes - 1 hour. Drain well and gently pat dry before adding them into the bowl with the remaining ingredients.
I tried using that orange cone-shaped peeler (in the picture below), but found it hard to get even/consistent strips. The regular Y-shaped veggie peeler works the best for this recipe.
Once the dressing has been mixed, pour it over all the shaved veggies. Press a piece of plastic wrap over the top to ensure everything is immersed in the dressing, then chill at least 30 minutes before serving.
|Primavera Veggie Salad with Maple-Mustard Vinaigrette|
- ½ bunch asparagus
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 cup snow peas, halved (cut on the diaganal)
- ½ cup (shelled) peas
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel long thin strips of asparagus and carrots*.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients together in a large bowl except the oil. While constantly whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil until an emulsion is formed
- Place all shaved veggies and remaining salad ingredients into the bowl with the dressing . Gently toss and chill for at least 30 minutes (or up to 4 hours) to allow veggies to marinate.