The ground flaxseed really gives the taste and texture of whole wheat bread. But our version is of course is gluten free, and low carb – only 2.3g net carbs per slice! So those following a Keto lifestyle can enjoy a nice slice of warm bread right out of the oven, or toasted, or… however you like!
Also, this dough can easily be shaped into hot dog or hamburger buns (just make sure your hands are very wet).
Make sure water is 110°F – not too cold or not too hot. Otherwise your yeast won’t grow. I wrap the bowl in a warm towel and allow to sit. If you don’t see nice bubbly growth after 10 minutes, throw it out and start again. Also, the honey will be completely consumed by the yeast so you don’t need to worry about sugar being in the final product.
Once dough is fully combined, scrape into a parchment lined loaf pan and smooth out with wet spatula.
Let rise in a warm spot for an hour, then place in preheated oven. After 30 minutes, loosely cover pan with foil to prevent over browning for the last 15 minutes of baking.
|Low Carb Faux-Wheat Bread|| |
- 2 tsp active/instant dry yeast
- 2 tsp honey (will get eaten up completely by yeast)
- ½ cup warm water *(110°F)
- 1 ¼ cup (120g) almond flour**
- ½ cup (60g) arrowroot flour**
- ¾ cup + 1 Tbsp (83g) ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup unflavored whey protein**
- ¼ cup psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 whole egg
- 3 egg whites (110g)
- ¼ cup (56g) butter, melted and cooled***
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sour cream***
- In large bowl combine yeast mixture, make sure honey is dissolved before added yeast. Set bowl in warm spot with towel over top (I set bowl over pot of very warm water-bowl not touching water), let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
- To proofed yeast mixture, add in all wet ingredients, except sour cream. Stir well.
- Whisk in half of the dry ingredients, mix, add sour cream, mix, then remaining dry. Stir until well combined.
- Spread into a parchment lined 8 ½ x 4 ¼ “ loaf pan. Smooth top with wet spatula/hands.
- Cover with warm towel, and let sit in warm area for 50 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Loosely tent with foil at 30 minute mark if top is getting too brown.
**loosely packed - as these types of ingredients can get packed in their container, be sure to whisk them well before scooping into your measuring cup.
***for dairy free – replace butter with dairy free margarine, and sour cream with canned coconut milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar)
Tip: When using for sandwiches, cut slices thinner than you would for other breads (as this loaf is slightly denser)