Sweet, savory and a touch spicy, this Chipotle-Pulled Pork Sandwich is easy to put together – especially when using a slow cooker. When topped with our creamy coleslaw, it helps to balance the spiciness of the pork and creates a tasty crunch with every bite.
Remove liquid from slow cooker and pour into a sauce pan (can remove some fat if desired, using one of these separater type measuring cups). Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered, until it is reduced to your desired consistency (about 10-15 minutes).
Did you know a Pressure Cooker can work just like a slow cooker? Here are some setting conversions:
For the Instant Pot:
Low = keep warm on a traditional slow cooker.
Medium = low on a traditional slow cooker.
High = medium high on a traditional slow cooker.
Chipotle-Pulled Pork Sandwich
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 1-2 canned chipotle peppers in GF adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 12 oz can cola
- 3 lb boneless pork shoulder or butt
- Into blender combine onion, peppers, lime juice, garlic and cumin. Process until smooth, adding just enough of the cola until mixture is smooth. Stir in remaining cola.
- Place roast into slow cooker and pour mixture over. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours, or on high 4- 5 hours.
- Using two forks, pull apart the meat into shreds, then cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Remove liquid from slow cooker and pour into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered, until it is reduced to your desired consistency (about 10-15 minutes). Stir in shredded meat, stirring until fully coated and heated throughout. Season to taste with salt if desired.
- To serve, top split buns with pulled pork mixture and some coleslaw.
Cola adds sweetness as well as a rich caramel flavor. However, in place of cola you could always use:
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp GF Dijon mustard
¾ cup white vinegar
1/3 cup GF ketchup
2 tsp GF Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
+ water to make mixture up to 12oz
GFC Tried & Tested Recommendations
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!