Crisp asparagus is enveloped in thinly sliced beef that has been marinated in a wonderful blend of flavors. This is a fantastically delicious appy that your meat-loving guests will devour!
Beef roulade is the best cut to use for this recipe. It comes pre-sliced into paper-thin wide sheets, something you just can’t do at home. Most meat sections will have them already packaged, if not ask the butcher to prepare some for you.
Once the meat has been cut to size and marinated, wrap them around the stalks of the asparagus – each piece of meat should be cut so there is just under an inch of overlap. This way as the meat cooks and shrinks, it won’t unwrap.
|Korean Beef-Wrapped Asparagus|| |
- 1 lb beef roulade (1/8” thinly sliced beef)
- 3 Tbsp GF soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp GF fish sauce
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, minced
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 24 spears asparagus, trimmed
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Cut beef into squares so they are wide enough to wrap around each asparagus once, with just a bit of overlap (the meat will shrink a bit as it cooks, so you still want enough of an overlap so it won’t unwrap as it cooks).
- Combine all the marinade ingredients, and pour all but ¼ of it into a ziploc bag. Set aside the reserve to use for later. Add meat and marinate in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
- Wrap a slice of meat around each stalk and place seam side down on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a bit of oil, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt and pepper.
- Place seam-side down on a hot grill for about 3 minutes on each side (you can also broil them in the oven).
- Pour reserved marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced, and becomes thick. Drizzle over cooked stalks and serve.