This is a quick and easy, no-nonsense recipe that makes a terrific frittata in hardly any time at all.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pound asparagus tough ends snapped off, spears cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Heat olive oil in a 10-inch oven-proof frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add onions and salt, stirring occasionally until onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add asparagus, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until the asparagus are barely tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour in eggs and cook until almost set but still runny on top, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over and put in oven to broil until cheese is melted and browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven with oven mitts and slide frittata onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges.