Sautéed onions, and onion soup mix blend together for a rich and savory meatloaf flavor.
Using a matchstick mandolin is perfect for finely chopping the veggies quickly - and most importantly the same size This ensure they cook at the same rate, and the texture of the meatloaf will be uniform.
Saute the veggies first until tender and onions just start to brown. This is what is going to add a ton of flavor to the meatloaf.
Once the veggies have cooled, mix in with the ground beef and shape into a loaf.
Generously brush the glaze all over the meatloaf and bake until fully cooked.
- ½ cup onions, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp oil
- ½ cup carrots, finely grated (optional)
- ⅓ cup green or red pepper, finely diced (optional)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 pkg GF onion soup mix
- 1 cup GF fine bread crumbs
- ½ tsp pepper
- ⅓ cup GF ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp GF mustard
- 1 tsp GF Worcestershire sauce
- Sauté onions in oil until tender, add in carrots and peppers if desired and continue frying for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Mix everything in a large bowl, shape into a loaf. Place on a 9" x13" pan.
- Mix together topping ingredients, then spread over entire loaf.
- Bake uncovered at 375°F for 1 hour, or until internal temperature reaches at least 165°F.
Tools used in this recipe:
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!
To see all our favorite kitchen items we use and recommend in; Bakeware, Cookware, Small Appliances, Kitchen Tools & Gadgets, Knives, and Recommended Cookbooks, visit our shopping page at our Amazon.com eStore - Gluten Free Club