Great for a family dinner on a Sunday night.
|How To Roast Beef|| |
- 3 to 3½ lbs of Boneless Rump Roast (pick an end cut with a lot of fat marbling)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 garlic, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- You will need a meat thermometer for testing when the roast is cooked.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- You always want to start with the roast at room temperature (remove from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking and keep it wrapped).
- Season meat: with a sharp knife make 8 small incisions around the roast. Place a sliver of garlic into each incision. Take a tablespoon or so of olive oil and spread all around the roast, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the roast directly on an oven rack, fatty side up, with a drip pan on a rack beneath the roasting rack (this arrangement creates convection in the oven so that you do not need to turn the roast. The roast is placed fat side up so that as the fat melts it will bathe the entire roast in its juices).
- Brown the roast at 375°F for half an hour. Lower the heat to 225°F. The roast should take somewhere from 2 to 3 hours additionally to cook.
- When the roast just starts to drip its juices and it is brown on the outside, check the temperature with a meat thermometer. Pull the roast from the oven when the inside temperature of the roast is 135° to 140°F.
- Let the roast rest for at least 15 minutes, tented in aluminum foil to keep warm, before carving to serve.