Steamed green cabbage leaves are wrapped around a mixture of ground beef and rice. Try adding some spice to the tomato sauce for an added kick of flavor.
|Cabbage Rolls|| |
- 1 large cabbage, cored
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¾ cup cooked rice
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 14 oz diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + ¼ cup cold water
- Separate the leaves from the cabbage being careful not to tear them. Drop cabbage leaves into boiling salted water; cover and cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Drain well.
- Filling: combine beef, rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well and spoon 1-2 Tbsp into each cooked cabbage leaf. Fold sides in, then roll up (secure with a toothpick if necessary). Place seam side down into a baking dish.
- Sauce: combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and water and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Bake covered at 350°F for 40 - 50 minutes.
- Pour off tomato sauce into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir in cornstarch and water mixture and cook until thickened. Pour sauce back over cabbage rolls and serve.