Instead of serving this salad on a plate, the way salad usually is served, try something a little unexpected. Similar to lettuce cups, these lettuce ‘boats’ are made using the long leaves from romaine lettuce.
This is a fun interactive salad, where your guests can fill their own ‘boats’ with veggies and flavor filled sauces like salsa verde and avocado cream (if you’ve never tried this before, I know you’re going to love it – and avocado cream is so easy to make!).
Look at the piece of cooked meat and find out which way the ‘grain’ is running – the strands of muscle. Then cut perpendicular to that – this will make the meat easy to pull apart when you are biting into it.
|Grilled Steak Salad with Salsa Verde & Avocado Cream|| |
- 1 lb flank/skirt steak
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved
- 2 tsp GF balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 romaine hearts, leaves separated
- Drizzle the meat with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill or fry the meat until desired doneness. Slice it across the grain, into thin strips. Cut each strip in half to make bite-sized pieces. Place meat in a dish and drizzle with some salsa verde. Set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in butter until brown and golden, stir in balsamic vinegar just before removing from heat. Place in another small dish, set aside.
- To serve, have all the ingredients in their own bowls/plates and let everyone assemble their own ‘salad boats’. Place a spoon in each dish of the dressings, so you can add as much or as little as you’d like.