Don’t let the name scare you! These savory meatballs are filled with rice and other veggies, then baked in a rich tomato sauce.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork or beef
- 1 cup short grain Arborio rice
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 4 mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dry sherry
- 1 1/2 Tbsp GF soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 large can GF tomato sauce approx. 2 cups
- 1 can GF tomato soup
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasonings
- Soak rice in water for 1 hour, then drain.
- Place all ingredients, including rice in bowl and mix to combine. Form into 1 inch balls.
- Prepare sauce: Mix all ingredients together. If sauce is too thick, add some water to thin it out (the meatballs will absorb the liquid as the rice cooks).
- Put meatballs into a dutch oven (or roasting pan with a lid), then pour tomato sauce over top. Bake, covered at 375°F for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until meat and rice are cooked.
[hr]FAQ: Is Sherry Safe?