Don’t let the name scare you! These savory meatballs are filled with rice and other veggies, then baked in a rich tomato sauce.
|Porcupine Meatballs|| |
Author: Marla Hingley
Don't let the name scare you!
- 1½ lbs ground pork or beef
- 1 cup short grain Arborio rice
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dry sherry
- 1½ Tbsp GF soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 large can GF tomato sauce (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 can GF tomato soup
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasonings
- Soak rice in water for 1 hour, then drain.
- Place all ingredients, including rice in bowl and mix to combine. Form into 1 inch balls.
- Prepare sauce: Mix all ingredients together. If sauce is too thick, add some water to thin it out (the meatballs will absorb the liquid as the rice cooks).
- Put meatballs into a dutch oven (or roasting pan with a lid), then pour tomato sauce over top. Bake, covered at 375°F for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until meat and rice are cooked.
To speed prep time, use Minute Rice (no need to soak rice). Also add in some vegetable purée's into sauce for added nutritional value (ie. carrot, cauliflower).
FAQ: Is Sherry Safe?