The perfect comfort food! Thick and savory, filled with fresh veggies, and topped with a flaky golden crust. You can make it with a crust on the bottom as well, or save some calories and just put it on the top!
Chop all your veggies into the same size. Prepare the ‘roux’ by mixing together the butter and flour. Use your hands to really get in combined into a thick paste.
Cook chicken in a separate pan, while you are cooking the veggies to speed up your time in the kitchen.
Mix in the roux, stirring until it’s completely dissolved.
Taste the mixture, and adjust any seasonings you like. Stir in the chicken and you’re ready to go!
Roll out pie crust for the top and bottom – or save some calories and just place the pastry on the top.
|Chicken Pot Pie|| || |
- 1 egg + 1Tbsp water (optional)
- 6 Tbsp butter or margarine, softened, divided
- ¼ cup GF all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup GF chicken broth
- ¼ cup white wine, optional
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ cup potato, peeled and diced
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken, diced
- ½ cup peas
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Mix together egg and water, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine ¼ cup of butter with the flour (use your hands to create a paste). Set aside.
- In another bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the milk. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion, carrot, and celery in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the broth, wine, bay leaf , thyme, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender.
- Add the butter mixture and boil gently, stirring until dissolved. Stir in the milk mixture and bring to a boil. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in the chicken and peas and parsley. Remove the bay leaf.
- Prepare the pastry, making one or two crusts (1/4" thick) cut to fit baking dish (pie plate, casserole dish, fluted pan) with an extra inch around the edges. If using a bottom crust, chill dough for 15 minutes before adding filling. Spoon in filling, wet dough edges with water, then top with chilled crust. Trim off excess, and crimp edges with fingers or a fork.
- Bake at 400°F for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown, and filling is bubbling (you may want to place dish on a baking sheet in case filling bubbles out). Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.
Tools used in this recipe:
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!
To see all our favorite kitchen items we use and recommend in; Bakeware, Cookware, Small Appliances, Kitchen Tools & Gadgets, Knives, and Recommended Cookbooks, visit our shopping page at our Amazon.com eStore – Gluten Free Club