This Jamaican inspired sweet and spicy marinade flavors the entire burger. It’s so full of taste, you’ll swear you could hear steel drums playing in the distance and the sea lapping along the shore. Food and aromas are great memory triggers, so if you’ve every been anywhere tropical this will bring it all back!
The jerk marinade is the star of this recipe and is used in all aspects of the burger – inside the patties, mixed with the mayo dressing, and used to marinate the pineapple slices. Process all the marinade ingredients until the mixture is finely blended.
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup GF fresh bread crumbs
- 4 pineapple rings
- 4 GF hamburger buns or use lettuce cups
- Butter or Bib lettuce
Jerk Marinade (makes 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 2 tsp habanero chili minced (or other hot pepper)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- ½ Tbsp ground allspice
- ½ Tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp red wine optional (or more vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 6 Tbsp GF mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1-3 Tbsp Jerk Marinade to taste
- To prepare Jerk Marinade, combine all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth.
- To prepare the hamburger patties, combine meat with ¼ cup of marinade, the egg and breadcrumbs. Form into 4 patties, cover and chill in fridge for at 30 minutes for patties to firm up.
- Place the pineapple rings in a shallow dish and spoon about ¼ cup of the marinade over, turning to coat. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the aioli, combine all ingredients stirring until smooth.
- Brush patties and pineapple rings with a bit of oil and grill until meat is fully cooked, and rings are warm and marked on both sides.
- To serve, toast the hamburger buns if desired, spread on some aioli and top with a pineapple ring, some lettuce and a pattie.