A traditional Cuban is a grilled sandwich with ham (or smoked pork), Swiss cheese, mustard and pickle slices. In our version we’ve created a fusion with Southwestern flavors. A cilantro, mango and olive relish replaces the pickle slices, and the mustard is spiced up with a bit of mayo and some paprika.
Finely chop all the relish ingredients into uniform size pieces. This way one flavor doesn’t overpower another.
Mix the ingredients for the spicy mayo mixture together. If you have time, let the mixture chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend, then put everything together and assemble the sandwich.
|Tex-Mex Cuban Sandwich with Olive & Mango Relish|| |
- 1 mango, finely chopped
- ¼ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp red onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup GF mayo
- 1 Tbsp GF grainy mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 8 slices GF bread
- 8 slices GF Black Forest Ham or roasted pork
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter, margarine or oil
- For relish, combine all ingredients and set aside.
- For mayo, combine all ingredients. Spread mixture onto 4 slices of the bread (butter the undersides of each slice first). Top with ham, pork, cheese and some relish. Cover with another slice of buttered bread, and grill in a panini press or in a fry pan (turning once underside is golden) until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.