A big plate of lasagna can be quite rich and heavy, but not so with this veggie version.
Made with our homemade spinach lasagna noodles and filled with fresh veggies this is the perfect light meal for lunch or dinner.
Mix up our Spinach Noodles then cut to size to fit the baking pan you’re using. I created a template by cutting a piece of paper to exactly fit the base of my pan, then I cut that in half lengthwise – otherwise the sheets would be to hard to boil and you could end up tearing them. Cut 9 noodles (or enough to make 3 layers), then lay on a wire rack until you are ready to boil them (can freeze them at this point if you like as well).
Cut all the squash up into 1/4-1/2″ rounds, and the broccoli and peppers into small bite-sized pieces. Steam the veggies for 5 minutes to pre-cook them. Combine the cheese mixture and set aside. I made 2 batches of lasagna in different sized pans, which is why the noodles in the picture below are different from those above. Boil the noodles for 7 minutes (they will not be fully cooked), then lay out on a clean towel to drain.
Start by placing a layer of noodles in the bottom the greased pan, followed by half of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the steamed veggies, and a layer of fresh arugula. Repeat. Top with the last layer of noodles, the veggies and the mozzarella.
Now sit back, cut yourself a big slice and enjoy!
|Vegetable Lasagna|| |
- 9 GF spinach lasagna noodles
- 6 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow zucchini, sliced
- Handful of fresh arugula
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups ricotta*
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Prepare noodles according to directions, cutting into lengths to fit your baking pan and approx 3" wide). Boil until only halfway cooked, about 7 minutes. Rinse, and lay out on a clean towel to dry.
- Place all veggies in a steamer (except arugula), and steam until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together the eggs, ricotta, herbs, garlic and salt and pepper.
- To assemble, grease the bottom of small rectangular pan (7x11), and place a layer of noodles. Top with half of the ricotta mixture, a ⅓ of the veggies, and a layer of arugula. Repeat. Top with the last layer of noodles, the veggies and the mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 50 minutes.
- For a dairy-free version, use 14oz of firm tofu, pureed until smooth (add a bit of water if needed to thin it out. Also may need to add more salt/garlic/herbs for flavor). Use dairy free mozzarella for topping, or omit completely.