To make this low carb, we’ve swapped out the traditional chickpea flour for ground flaxseed and eggs.
I prefer the flavor when the onions and peppers are browned before adding to the rest of the fritter mixture. Once the shredded zucchini and rutabaga have been drained and patted dry, toss them with the fried onion mixture.
Combine everything together, using hands if necessary to make sure everything is well blended and evenly coated. Use a medium cookie scoop to portion out the fritters (1 1/2 Tbsp each), then bake in the oven. Note: You can also bake these on a baking stone for an even crunchy crust!
Vegetable Fritters (Low Carb Pakora)
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 zucchini about ½ cup, shredded
- ½ rutabaga about ¾ cup, shredded
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 2 eggs
- 1/4-1/2 tsp garam masala
- Sauté yellow pepper and onion in oil until golden brown. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Set aside to cool in a large bowl.
- In a another bowl, toss zucchini and rutabaga with salt and let sit for 20 minutes (to release their moisture). Pat dry with paper towel then add to large bowl.
- Add in remaining ingredients, tossing together until well combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1.5 Tbsp), portion out mixture and place on a parchment lined baking sheet (should make about 30 fritters). Lightly spray each with oil, then bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes.
- Enjoy hot out of the oven with your favorite dip or sauce (like chutney, guacamole, or sour cream).