A tomato and basil base create these Italian inspired tuna cakes.
Italian Tuna Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked short grain rice
- 1 425g can tuna in oil, drained
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 Tbsp basil chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese cut in 1/2" cubes
- GF flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup GF bread crumbs or crushed rice cereal
- Mix the rice, tuna, egg, garlic, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese, salt, and basil. Refrigerate until the whole mixture is cold all the way through.
- Take one tablespoon of the rice and tuna mixture and flatten it with the back of a fork or your hands. Place one of the mozzarella cubes and place it on the top. Then form another patty to cover over the cheese. Seal sides together.
- Dust with lightly with flour, then dip into the beaten egg and immediately coat with bread crumbs. Repeat until all patties are formed.
- In hot oil, fry about 3 tuna cakes at a time. Flipping once, and cook until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.