A tomato and basil base create these Italian inspired tuna cakes.
|Italian Tuna Cakes|| |
- 1½ cups cooked short grain rice
- 1 (425g) can tuna in oil, drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp basil, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup mozzarella cheese, cut in ½" cubes
- GF flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup GF bread crumbs or crushed rice cereal
- Mix the rice, tuna, egg, garlic, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese, salt, and basil. Refrigerate until the whole mixture is cold all the way through.
- Take one tablespoon of the rice and tuna mixture and flatten it with the back of a fork or your hands. Place one of the mozzarella cubes and place it on the top. Then form another patty to cover over the cheese. Seal sides together.
- Dust with lightly with flour, then dip into the beaten egg and immediately coat with bread crumbs. Repeat until all patties are formed.
- In hot oil, fry about 3 tuna cakes at a time. Flipping once, and cook until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.