If you’re looking for a wrap as close to the ‘real thing’ (meaning high in carbs and delicious!), then this is it!
You can roll them out to the perfect thickness every time using my favorite rolling pin bands or use a tortilla press. I love using a press as it saves so much time – it flattens the dough to the right thickness and perfect shape every time.
Mix together the dry ingredients until well blended, then pour in the wet ingredients while the machine is running. Process until dough comes together. Let rest in machine for 20 minutes. This allows the flours to fully absorb the liquid, creating a more tender (and pliable) tortilla.
To make all the tortillas uniform, use either a digital scale or 50mm/3Tbsp cookie scoop to portion dough out. Roll each portion out into a ball before pressing out between 2 pieces of parchment in a tortilla press (or using a rolling pin). Using a press will ensure the perfect thickness and shape everything. But if you don’t have a press – get these rolling pin bands – they roll out the perfect thickness every time (then use a pot lid to cut out your circle).
In a dry med-hot skillet, cook tortillas for about a minute, then flip and cook for another 20 seconds. Don’t overcook, otherwise they will become dry and split easy when folded. Once it starts to get lightly golden brown in places, flip.
|The Best Low Carb Wraps|| |
- 1 cup (95g) almond flour
- 3 Tbsp (20g) coconut flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp ground chia
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a food processor, and mix until well blended.
- In a dish combine wet ingredients together, whisking lightly with fork. With food processor running, pour in egg mixture. Mix until dough comes together. Turn off machine and let dough rest for 30 minutes (time for flours to absorb liquids, making tortillas more pliable once cooked).
- Portion dough out into 6-7 balls (35g each – or use a large 3Tbsp cookie scoop). Roll each into balls.
- Press out between two pieces of parchment using a tortilla press (or rolling pin). Take off top parchment, flip tortilla onto hand, then remove bottom parchment.
- Place tortilla into preheated non-stick skillet on high. Cook for 30-45 seconds on one side, then flip and cook another 10-15 (you just want the tortilla to just start turning golden in places).
GFC Tried & Tested Recommendations
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!