This appetizer is a combination of 3 layers, each bringing out the best flavours of each. Its topped with a fried sage leaf. For me, that is the best part! Frying a fresh sage leaf in a bit of oil for only 10-15 seconds, turns it into a melt-in-your-mouth delight
|Caramelized Squash Crostini|
- 4 thin slices GF pancetta
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 2 cups butternut squash*, finely diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp agave or honey
- 8 baguette slices, toasted
- Over med-high heat, cook pacetta until crispy, about 5 minutes. Set on paper towel to drain, cut in half.
- Add oil to pan and, one at a time, fry sage leaves until crisp, 10-15 seconds only. Set on paper towel to drain.
- Add squash to pan, season with salt and pepper, cook until edges start to brown (caramelize). Then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Spoon mixture onto toasted baguette slices, top with piece of pancetta and a sage leaf.
- Serve warm or a room temperature.
FAQ: Is Sherry Vinegar Safe?