Because jicama is so low in starches (carbs), it won’t create fries with dry and fluffy insides like potatoes do. However it will make a tasty substitute when you’ve got that craving!
Cut jicama into plank-style fries – 1/4″ thick by 1/2″ wide. This means you only have to flip them once in the oven to get them crispy. Place into boiling water to soften for 10 minutes.
Once they are drained, pat dry then toss with oil and seasonings. Then put on a preheated baking sheet, flipping halfway through cooking.
Note: You can also use rutabaga to make these as well.
|Low Carb French Fries|| |
- 1 jicama, peeled
- 2-4 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1-3 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
- Zest of half of lime
- Juice of half of lime
- Place baking sheet in oven and turn to 400°F.
- Slice jicama into ¼” slices, the cut plank-style into ½” pieces.
- Place into a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain, and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, toss with oil and seasonings.
- Place in a single layer (not touching), on a preheated baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Flip each over, then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until tender and golden on both sides.
- For dip, combine all ingredients and stir together. Adjust flavors as desired.
GFC Tried & Tested Recommendations
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!