Who knew that carrots came in such a rainbow of colors! Ribbons of purple carrots make this simple salad as beautiful as it is delicious.
Use a vegetable peeler to slice the carrots into thin ribbons. Place the ribbons in a bowl of ice water, this will help them curl up into attractive shapes (if your ribbons are too thick they won’t curl, so try to cut them as thin as possible). Let them chill in the fridge for 20 minutes, then drain and gently pat dry – if excess water is on the carrots the dressing won’t stick. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss with the carrots and red onions.
Shaved Purple Carrot Salad
- 4 cups shaved carrots whatever color you like
- ½ cup red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey or agave
- 1 tsp GF Dijon
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Use a mandolin or vegetable peeler to thinly slice the carrots (try to get the strips as long as possible). Place the ribbons in ice water and chill in fridge for 20 minutes – this will help curl the carrots and firm them up. Drain and gently pat dry.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients, then toss gently with the carrots and sliced onions.