One of the key ingredients to the delicate texture of this salad, is Butter lettuce. Also called, Bib or Boston, this lettuce is usually sold ‘living’ – with its root ball, which you need to keep moist in its container. Be sure not to substitute any other type of lettuce for this salad – I promise you won’t be disappointed!
Boil the eggs until hard. Gently crack and let sit in cold water to cool for 4 minutes then peel.
To get perfectly minced shallots, start by using a sharp paring knife to cut thin vertical slices – although do not cut all the way through to the tip/root end, you want the shallot to remain intact at one end as this will make it easier to handle/cut. Next make 2 horizontal cuts one on top of the other, followed by the final vertical slice down through all the cuts. The final minced sized should be 1/8″ or less.
Lightly fry the sliced pancetta, flipping until both sides are nicely golden, set aside then crumble once cool. Add the shallots to the skillet along with a bit of oil if needed and fry until golden, about 1-2 minutes. Take off heat and whisk in honey and vinegar, stirring until dissolved. Pour dressing into a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
Tear the lettuce and place into bowls. Peel the eggs, quarter and divide among the bowls. To finish the dressing, slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking continuously until an emulsion is formed. Drizzle dressing over salads and top with fresh herbs and crumbled pancetta.
|Warm Tarragon & Pancetta Salad|| |
- 1 head Butter lettuce (also know as Boston or Bib)
- 6-12 slices GF pancetta (Italian bacon), thinly sliced
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ cup GF Tarragon-Flavored vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey (for low carb, replace with a few drops of liquid stevia)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- To boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan adding enough (cold) water to cover by 1 inch. Cover and bring to just a boil. Remove from heat and let sit in the hot water (covered) for 12 minutes. Gently crack eggs in a few places then place immediately in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes. Peel under cold water and set aside (I like the eggs slightly warm in this salad).
- Tear the lettuce and place into bowls. Quarter the eggs, and divide among the bowls.
- Lightly fry the sliced pancetta in a skillet, flipping until both sides are nicely golden. Coarsely crumble and divide over salads.
- To the skillet (keep the pancetta drippings) add the finely minced shallots. Add a bit more oil if need and fry the shallots until golden. Turn off heat and whisk in honey and vinegar until dissolved. Scrape everything into a medium sized bowl and let cool slightly, then slowly drizzle in the oil while whisking continuously until dressing is emulsified.
- Drizzle dressing over salads and top with fresh herbs.
*Be aware that some brands of tarragon-flavored vinegar contain gluten, so be sure to check the label.