Wild Salmon Salad with Rhubarb-Lime Vinaigrette
Rhubarb adds a wonderful tart unique flavor that blends perfectly with the lime. Here is a great protein-rich salad to make when your garden is overflowing with those bright crimson stalks.
The variety of the rhubarb grown is what determines the color of the stalks. The color is not an indicator of its sweetness, so pick the rhubarb once it reaches 10″ in length. You can either cut the stalks off, or gently twist and pull them out near the base.
To soften the rhubarb, place it in a saucepan with some water and allow it to boil until tender – about 10 minutes.
Once the dressing ingredients are added to the blender, slowly drizzle in the oil with the machine running. To get an emulsion (so the dressing doesn’t separate), the oil must be added a few drops at a time for the first few tablespoons. Then you can add the remaining oil in a slow drizzle. Use as much or as little oil as you like – taste the dressing and check its consistency as you go.
To finish the dressing, whisk in the remaining herbs and seasonings then toss with the salad greens.
Wild Salmon Salad with Rhubarb Lime Vinaigrette
- 12 oz wild salmon fillets
- Mixed greens for 4
- 1 cup cucumber thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh chives chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped rhubarb
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp GF Dijon mustard
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme minced
- 2 Tbsp – ½ cup oil
- Salt to taste
- Bake or poach salmon until opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Set aside to cool. Chop in bite-sized pieces.
- For dressing, simmer rhubarb in a saucepan with water until tender, about 10 minutes. Pour mixture into in a blender, along with ginger, mustard, and honey, and puree until smooth. Allow to cool.
- Pour into a blender and add remaining ingredients, except oil. Process mixture together until smooth. Slowly drizzle in 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add more oil until you get the consistency you desire. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, divide the salad ingredients into four bowls and drizzle with dressing.