Pilaf is a rice dish that has been cooked in a seasoned broth. A variety of veggies and spices can be added to change the flavors to best accompany your main dish. This recipe has the classic ingredients of onion and celery, along with some fresh chives and crunchy pine nuts.
|Rice Pilaf|| |
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 cup rice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups GF chicken broth (or vegetable)
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup fresh chives, thinly sliced
- In a frypan sauté the onions, celery, and garlic in oil until they become soft. Add in the thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg and rice. Keep this sauteing for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Keep this covered and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and you see that the liquid is absorbed.
- While this is going on, roast the pine nuts in a small skillet on a low heat. Continuously stir until they become golden, it should only take a couple minutes.
- Let the rice sit for about 5 minutes as soon as it's finished. Toss rice mixture with the pine nuts and chives and serve.