A bit of cilantro makes all the difference in this stuffing.
Classic Turkey & Sausage Stuffing/Dressing
- 5-6 cups GF bread cut into 1/2" cubes (or pre-made GF croutons)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups celery chopped
- 2 cups onions chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 2 tsp cilantro
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups GF chicken broth
- 4 GF sausages casings removed, cooked & crumbled
- Prepare bread as follows: place cubes on a baking sheet and bake at 200°F for 2-3 hours, or until crispy.
- In a large fry pan, sauté celery and onions in oil over medium heat until soft. Add spices and seasonings.
- Pour in chicken broth and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Add more broth if needed.
- In a large bowl, add bread cubes, sausage and vegetable mixture. Mix gently with hands,adding more broth if needed (just until bread is slightly moist).
- For stuffing turkey: don’t over stuff the turkey cavity, since the stuffing will expand as it bakes, so pack it loosely. Use an instant read thermometer in the center of the stuffing to check for doneness (165F).
- For dressing, place inside a covered, buttered casserole dish and bake it at 350F for about 1 hour (drizzle over some melted butter or pan drippings half way through if you wish).