Vegetarians rejoice – a delicious tasting meat-free hamburger!
Besides being delicious, what I love about these is they actually have a very similar ‘mouth-feel’ to hamburger, and it looks quite similar.
The secret…RED quinoa! Don’t take my word for it, judge for yourself how these burgers compare.
|Quinoa Veggie Burger|| |
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup red quinoa
- 1 Tbsp oil (of your choice)
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup GF cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup whole pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- ⅓ cup GF quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp GF soy sauce
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, then cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- To toast pecans; place whole nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, for 7 to 9 minutes (stirring once).
- Sauté onions in oil until softened. Add mushrooms, garlic, and spices/seasonings, stirring until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, beat egg then add in the cooled quinoa, mushroom mixture, and the remaining ingredients. Stir until combined. Scoop ½cup of the mixture and form into a ball, and place on a greased baking sheet. Gently press down until you get the desired thickness. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
FAQ: Are Oats Gluten Free?