Most basil pesto recipes call for pine nuts but you can easily substitute walnuts. Serve with pasta or on baked potatoes.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves packed
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil). Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended.
- Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.