This dish is full of bold flavors and a beautiful rainbow of colors. Adding hearty Portobello mushrooms turns this side dish into the perfect summertime lunch.
Be sure to core and seed the tomatoes. This will prevent the relish from getting watery.
Use a spoon to scrape out the gills, as they can be quite bitter.Toss all the cut veggies to be grilled with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. Grill under tender-crisp. Serve warm with relish or at room temperature.
|Grilled Veggies with Tomato Relish|| |
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, gills & stem removed
- 4 zucchini (yellow and green), cut into ½” slices
- 4 sweet peppers (all colors), quartered
- 1 onion, cut into ½” slices
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups tomatoes, cored & seeded
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, minced
- 3 Tbsp dill pickles, minced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- 1 Tbsp canned green chilies, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all the veggies with some oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay on grill in a single layer, turning once char marks appear. Because the veggies have different cooking times, start with the peppers and onions. Once they start to soften add the zucchini and mushrooms. That way everything will be done at the same time.
- For the relish, combine all ingredients until thoroughly mixed. If you can, make this an hour ahead of time to allow the flavors to blend and the mixture to warm to room temperature.
- Serve the relish over the grilled veggies, or on the side.