This is an amazing combination of flavors and textures. It is sure to become your new favorite chicken soup!
You can use cured chorizo cut into small pieces or fresh chorizo. If using fresh, remove the casings and break up as you fry it. Don’t break it up too much at this point as it will naturally fall apart even more while simmering. The cured chorizo doesn’t require pre-cooking, just add it into the pot after the chicken and onions are done sauteing.
Once everything has simmered with the broth, add the milk and simmer for another 10 minutes.
For a bit more depth of flavor, stir in a bit of pesto just before serving.
Creamy Chicken, Chorizo & Wild Rice Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chicken breasts or thighs cubed
- 2 GF chorizo* sausages casings removed
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1-2 carrots finely diced
- 1/2 cup wild rice optional
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups cabbage finely shredded
- 4 1/2 cups GF chicken broth
- ¼ cup sherry or white wine
- 1 cup cream evaporated milk, or canned coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp basil pesto to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, sear chicken pieces in oil until lightly browned on all sides (but not fully cooked), transfer to a plate.
- Sauté fresh chorizo and onions in skillet (add more oil if necessary), breaking up sausage with wooden spoon. Keep sausage in fairly big pieces as it will continue to break up as it cooks in the soup. Once the onions are tender add rice, celery, carrots, and garlic, sautéing for another 4 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot and add cabbage, broth, and sherry. Simmer covered for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add cream/milk and simmer for another 5-10 minutes uncovered.
- Stir in the pesto and season to taste with salt and pepper.