Tangy, tart, sweet and savory -this salad is a delicious combination of textures and flavors. You can alter the ingredient combinations to whatever you like. Instead of pear use strawberries, instead of gorgonzola use feta or goat cheese, instead of almond use pine nuts, or instead of cucumbers use thinly sliced yellow peppers!
Chop the fruit and veggies, cook the chicken pieces, and toast the almonds. Divide the salad greens among 4 bowls and divide the previous ingredients into each bowl. Once everything is ready, then prepare the dressing.
Because the dressing can over-thicken and harden if allowed to sit and cool for too long(because of its high sugar content), prepare the dressing once the rest of the salad is plated and ready to serve. Whisk all ingredients together then pour into a small skillet. Bring to a light boil and reduce slightly until a bit thickened, then drizzle over the salads.
|Pear & Chicken Salad with Gorgonzola|| |
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 4 cups mixed greens
- ½ cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Gorgonzola (or goat) cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup fig jam
- ¼ cup GF balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Salt to taste
- Slice chicken into strips and fry in a bit of oil until fully cooked. During the last minute of cooking, add lime juice. Set aside.
- Toast almonds in a dry skillet over med-high heat, shaking pan often, until golden. Set aside.
- To make the dressing (prepare just before serving), whisk all ingredients together then pour into a small skillet. Bring to a boil and reduce slightly until a bit thickened. Set aside (but keep warm).
- Among 4 bowls, divided remaining salad ingredients, add chicken slices, toasted almonds, and drizzle each with the warm dressing.