Tart and creamy, in every bite.
Key Lime Cheesecake
- 2 cups GF graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
- 1/4 cup pecans finely chopped (or shredded coconut)
- 1/2 cup key lime or regular lime juice
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 small eggs slightly beaten
- 1 tsp fresh lime zest
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 8 oz GF cream cheese
- 1/4 cup whipping cream whipped
- For the crust, in a small bowl mix crumbs, butter and pecans. Press into bottom and up the sides of a 9" pie plate.
- For filling, place the lime juice and water in a sauce pan and sprinkle on the gelatin. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften. Add the sugar, beaten eggs, and zest and cook over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes or until the liquid reaches a temperature of 160°F and is thickened---don't boil. Remove from heat, set aside to cool slightly.
- In another bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Then slowly beat in cooked lime mixture a little at a time, until fully combined. Refrigerate until the mixture forms slight mounds when dropped from a spoon.
- Fold in the whipped cream and pour into crust. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.