A Holiday Showstopper!
SPONGE CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- Rice flour for the pan
- 9 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp cocoa
- 1/8 tsp salt
FILLING FOR ROULADE
- 2 large egg whites
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 10 Tbsp butter softened
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate melted
- 1 Tbsp Instant espresso powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of one orange
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 drops of green food colouring
GLAZE FOR ROULADE
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup plus 1 ½ Tbsp water
- ½ cup cocoa
SPONGE CAKE DIRECTIONS
- Position rack in the middle of your oven. Preheat 350°F.
- In a double boiler melt the bittersweet chocolate with the warm water. Let cool at room temperature.
- Grease the bottom of a 18 x 13 inch rimmed baking sheet with the softened butter. Line the pan with parchment paper, then with the rice flour lightly flour the parchment paper.
- Separate your 9 eggs from the yolks and the whites. With an electric mixer whip the egg yolks in a large bowl about 3 minutes until light and pale yellow. Mix in the melted bittersweet chocolate. Then stir in the 1 ounce of cocoa and the salt.
- In a clean glass bowl whip the egg whites for two minutes until frothy. Slowly add the white sugar, streaming it into the egg whites while you are beating them. You want a soft peak so make sure you beat for 3 more minutes if using an electric mixer.
- With a rubber spatula fold the eggs whites into the chocolate mixture slowly. Do not over mix.
- Scrape the mixture into the baking sheet. Gently spread the mixture and smooth it to make sure it is level. Bake for 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile spread a clean dishtowel (at least as big as the cake pan) dust the towel with the 1/8 tsp of cocoa powder. This will keep the cake from sticking to the towel.
- Immediately after taking the cake out of the oven, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cake from the edge. Invert the cake onto the towel in a quick motion. Carefully peel off the parchment paper. Using both hands and starting from one end to the other. Then while the cake is still hot gently roll up the cake and the towel together. Let cool at room temperature.
ROULADE FILLING DIRECTIONS
- You will need a double boiler to make this filling. Or a pan with two inches of water and a glass bowl. Heat water till boiling than turn down tempt. to low.
- With an electric mixer beat the egg whites, sugar and salt in your pot over the hot water. About 90 seconds. Take the bowl or pot off the hot water. With the electric mixture keep beating for another 2-3 minutes on high. Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add in your butter till the filling is completely incorporated. The filling should be soft and loose as it will firm up when it is chilled.
- With the mixer on low choose one blend of flavoring choices, either peppermint, orange vanilla or mocha and then add the flavoring to the mix.
- Carefully unroll the cooled, towel wrapped cake. Spread the filling over the cake covering it evenly to within 2 inches of the edges. Re-roll the cake without the towel. The filling may squish out the ends a bit; this is fine. Slide two large metal spatulas under the filled cake to move to a wire rack for glazing. You may want to wrap this and chill it for up to two days before you glaze the roulade.
GLAZE FOR ROULADE
- In a large sauce pan, combine the cream, sugar, ½ cup of the water and the cocoa. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Whisk often , cook for 10 minutes until very thick hot fudge sauce. Let cool at room temperature until thick but still pourable about 10 minutes.
- If you have made the cake ahead unwrap it and place on a wire rack over a baking sheet. Pour the glaze over the roulade. Cover evenly. Trim ends and refrigerate uncovered for a least one hour.