Rich and chocolatey with a light nutty flavor.
Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake
- 1 cup skinned almonds, toasted
- 1 Tbsp + 1 cup sugar divided
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Place almonds and 1 Tbsp of sugar in the bowl of food processor. Process to a fine grind and set aside.
- Melt the butter, stir in the cocoa and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl beat the egg yolks with 3/4 cup of sugar until pale yellow in color. Add cocoa mixture and salt, mix well then add ground almonds.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until whites are stiff, but not dry. Then add about 1/4 of the egg whites to chocolate mixture and gently fold in. Gradually fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour into a large greased cake pan (or 2 small pans) and bake at 375°F for 40-45 minutes or until set.