If you want your dairy free ice cream to really taste like ice cream – light and creamy, you need to use an ice cream maker. The ice cold stirring (churning) process is what creates those tiny ice crystals throughout the mixture, giving it that classic texture.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, after blending all the ingredients, you can just pour it into a container and freeze it (stirring occasionally as it freezes will help add a bit of air), but it will still have a very heavy dense texture.
How many times has this happened to you after opening a can of coconut milk… you push the spoon in to scoop out the hardened cream and either the liquid squirts up everywhere and makes a mess, or the spoon slips in too quickly and you cut yourself on the can?? Both have happened to me, and then I finally got smart. Open the can from the other end (or opposite of how it’s been sitting on your shelf)! Since the coconut cream will float to the top and harden, if you open the other end you can easily pour off the liquid first.
Toasting the shredded coconut first heats up the oils inside, allowing all that flavor to be infused into the coconut milk. Once the mixture has steeped for 30 minutes, strain, then discard the shredded coconut.
Dairy Free Coconut Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes toasted
- 3 cups canned coconut milk well blended (full fat)
- ¾ cup sweetened cream of coconut
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- Toast the coconut flakes in a dry saucepan over high heat until golden, shaking pan often. Reduce heat to medium, add the coconut milk. Heat until very warm.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, cover and let stand for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to mix. Strain mixture through mesh sieve, pressing any excess liquid out from the coconut (discard coconut).
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk together until smooth, If you are using sugar, you many need to heat mixture until sugar is completely dissolved. Chill for 1 hour or until cold.
- Pour into ice cream maker and allow to churn until thick, about 15-25 minutes. Scoop into a container, seal and freeze until firm.
Use this ice cream to top off our Grilled Rum Pineapple for a delicious dairy-free dessert!