Soft, moist, and delicious, with a neutral white bread flavor.
White Bread with Sorghum
- 2 Tbsp dry active yeast + 3 Tbsp warm water + 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/8-1/4 tsp ground ginger adds flavor and acts as a natural preservative
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup warm water
- In a dish, stir sugar and warm water together until mostly dissolved. Sprinkle yeast over top and let sit 10 minutes until yeast starts to activate.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients and whisk together well. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat egg whites on high for 1 minute. Add oil and vinegar, beat to blend.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and the yeast to the egg mixture, and beat on low for about 10 seconds. Add a 1/3 of the water, mix, then continue alternating the remaining dry ingredients with water until all are incorporated. Beat an additional minute on low, batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan, smoothing top with wet spatula. Cover loosely with plastic wrap (sprayed with cooking spray), and set in a warm spot* to rise for 45 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake bread in a preheated oven at 375° for 60 minutes. If bread is browning too quickly, loosely tent with foil. Bake bread until an instant read digital thermometer reads 208° F (97.8° C). This is the only way to be sure the bread is fully cooked throughout.
- Remove bread from pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Slice bread only when completely cool.
Try this bread with a delicious grilled Rueben Sandwich