Sweet buttermilk scones are the perfect base for a delicious strawberry shortcake.
Strawberry Shortcake Scones
- 2 pints fresh strawberries washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 Tbsp icing sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk alternative + 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 Tbsp bean flour
- 2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp cream or milk alternative
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- In a medium bowl, combine the sliced strawberries with sugar. Cover and refrigerate. Whip cream with icing sugar, set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. In another bowl mix remaining dry ingredients, then add into butter mixture alternating with buttermilk.
- Drop batter onto a greased baking sheet, form gently into scones shapes.
- For glaze, whisk egg and cream. Brush scones with the mixture, then sprinkle over with sugar. Bake at 400°F for 15 to 18 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- To assemble, split scones and spoon strawberries over the bottom. Put the top of the scone on the strawberries and top with whipped cream and a few strawberry slices.