Sugared fruit can turn a plain dessert into a shimmering feast for the eyes. Like little icy balls of colored diamonds, they add sparkle and shine to any dessert.
Making sugared fruit is as easy as whisking egg whites and a bit of water together, then rolling the fruit in a bowl full of sugar. Use a fork or slotted spoon for larger fruit, to transfer from the sugar to the baking sheet. Be very gently, since the sugar will rub off while it’s still wet. Once it has hardened completely, you can easily handle it with your fingers.
|Sugared Fruit|| |
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ cup sugar (superfine is the best, but use whatever you like)
- In two shallow dishes, place the egg white and water in one and the sugar in another.
- Gently whisk the egg and water until blended.
- Toss fruit individually in liquid mixture, then roll in sugar to fully coat.
- Use a toothpick or a fork to gently remove the fruit, taking care not to rub off any of the sugar.
- Place on a wire rack to dry completely.
Depending on the type of fruit you're using, they can last from 1-7 days.