Waffle batters are all pretty similar, it’s what you add to it that really makes it great. Like adding some orange zest, or berries into the batter. Everyone thinks about what to add to the inside, but what about the outside??
By sprinkling some cinnamon-sugar over the batter before you close the griddle, a dark, sweet and crispy topping is created.
|Crusty Cinnamon-Sugar Waffles|| |
- 1¼ cups buttermilk, milk or milk alternative
- 2 eggs, separated
- 6 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp GF vanilla
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 Tbsp GF baking powder
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Cinnamon Sugar (2 tsp sugar + ½ tsp cinnamon)
- Mix together the egg yolks, milk, oil, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs whites until soft peaks form.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt, then add to the milk mixture gradually. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into a hot greased waffle iron. Before closing lid, generously sprinkle a cinnamon-sugar mixture over top of waffle batter, then close lid until cooked.