Light and full of flavor, serve this tasty souffle with a big salad for a filling dinner.
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp celery tops chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of salt
- Black pepper to taste
- White pepper to taste
- 2 1/4 tsp GF flour mix
- Pinch of xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup milk or milk alternative
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 ounces canned crabmeat
- 2 egg whites stiffly beaten
- 1/8 tsp lemon juice
- Toast coconut in a non-stick skillet over low heat. Set aside.
- Heat oil over low heat and add the celery, garlic, curry powder, thyme, chili powder, salt and pepper – cook for 3 minutes. Stir in flour and xanthan gum until smooth for about 1 minute. Pour in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Set aside, in a medium bowl, and cool slightly. Whisk the egg yolks one at a time into the sauce. Stir in coconut and crab meat.
- In another medium bowl, beat egg whites and lemon juice with a mixer until stiff, but not dry. Stir 1/4 of the whites into crab mixture. Quickly and gently fold in the remaining whites. Do not deflate the volume. Transfer mixture to an ungreased souffle/casserole dish and place it on a rack at the bottom of the oven. Bake for 10 minutes at 400°F or until golden, puffed and still moist inside.