This is a delicious crispy batter.
Beer Batter (for Fish or Onion Rings)
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill GF Baking & Biscuit Mix or 1 cup flour mix of your choice
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 bottles GF beer OR 2 cans of club soda will use about 1 1/4 cans
- Heat oil over med-high heat to 375°F. If you don't have a candy thermometer, to test if oil is ready, dip a wooden chopstick in the oil – if bubbles form around it, its ready.
- Put all dry ingredients in a zip lock bag and shake to combine. Then put it in a large bowl, and pour in 1 full bottle/can and mix well. If too thick, add a bit more of the second bottle/can, until mixture is smooth and is not too thick or too thin (it will be like really thick pancake batter).
- Dip fish fillets or onion rings in batter, making sure both sides are coated evenly, and gently place a few pieces in hot oil. Cook until golden brown, turning once (cooking times: fish - approx. 5 minutes, onion rings - approx. 2 minutes).
[hr]FAQ: Where Do You Find Gluten Free Beer?