Garnish with a dollup of sour cream or yogurt.
|Corn & Potato Chowder|| |
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tsp dry sherry, or water
- 1-1/4 cups onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups red potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup GF vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk or milk substitute
- 1 cup corn
- Cayenne to taste
- 2 cups leftover chicken (optional)
- Nonfat plain yogurt or sour cream, garnish (optional)
- Fresh dill, garnish (optional)
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat oil and sherry or water until bubbling. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent browning (if mixture appears dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water).
- Add carrot, celery, bay leaf, potatoes and stock. Cover pan, bring to a boil and cook over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, or until potato is tender. Then add milk, corn, chicken and simmer 3 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Purée 1 cup soup in a blender, then return to the pot. Season with cayenne. If desired, garnish with a dollop of nonfat yogurt.