With those rich and savory flavorings you love so much inside a casserole, now you can enjoy your favorite comfort food in a soup!
Make sure you use extra lean ground beef. Since everything is cooked in one pot together, you won’t be able to drain out excess oil. If you don’t want to take the extra time to make the mashed potato topping, then just add all the potatoes into the pot instead.
|Shepard’s Pie Soup|| |
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 4 large potatoes, diced, divided
- 2 Tbsp GF tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp GF Dijon
- 1 Tbsp GF Worcestershire sauce
- 3 ½ cups GF beef broth
- 1 cup peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven, sauté onion, garlic and herbs in oil until tender. Add beef, carrot, celery and a quarter of the potatoes, cooking until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in tomato paste, mustard and Worcestershire, cooking another 5 minutes until mixture is thickened.
- Meanwhile bring a pot of water to boil and add remaining potatoes (add more potatoes if you like). Boil until tender. Drain, mash and set aside.
- To soup, add broth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until veggies are tender, then add peas.
- To serve, divide into bowls and top with a scoop of mashed potatoes.