The biggest key to making rice that is full of flavor, is to use something other than plain water to cook the rice in.
After the onions and garlic are sautéed, adding in the rice and frying for another few minutes adds even more flavor to the rice by giving it a delicate toasted flavor. Stir in the stock, cover and simmer until tender.
Once the rice is tender, stir in the zest and cilantro. You can make this a complete meal by adding in some diced cooked chicken and some veggies.
|Cilantro-Lime Rice|| |
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups GF chicken or GF veggie stock
- Juice of 3 limes
- Zest of 2 limes
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large skillet sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender over medium-low heat.
- Reduce temperature to low and add rice and salt, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. This will add a nice toasted flavor to the rice.
- Add stock and lime juice and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender, adding more liquid as needed.
- Just before serving, stir in the zest and cilantro.