This is the original flourless cake! These types of cake recipes have been around forever, even before people started taking wheat flours out of their diets. If you are in the mood for a volcanic eruption of chocolate…get ready!
Brush insides of each ramekin with melted butter, then coat with sugar. Shaking out the excess.
Combine the melted chocolate and the rest of the batter, mixing until smooth. Pour into the ramekins.
Bake until the edges are set, but the center is still soft.
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 8 oz GF semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine + extra for greasing ramekins
- 4 eggs
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp pinch salt
- Melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- Prepare 5 ramekin dishes (5oz) by brushing the insides with melted butter, then sprinkle in some white sugar, coating the entire buttered surface. Shake out any excess, then set dishes on a baking sheet.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, whisk until smooth. Then add in the chocolate mixture, whisking until it is thick and smooth.
- Pour the batter into each cup up to 3/4 full, and bake at 400°F for about 10-15 minutes (the centers should be soft). Check them after 10 minutes - you don't want to over bake them or their won't be any 'lava' inside!
- To serve, gently invert the ramekin onto a plate, dust with icing sugar, and a scoop of GF vanilla ice cream if you like.
Tools used in this recipe:
All the products that we have recommended have been tried and tested in our Gluten Free Club Test Kitchen, and have been chosen as our top picks based on their:
- Quality of the task they are designed to do
- Quality of manufacturing/Longevity
- Best value for your money
If you decide to purchase any of the items we recommend, Amazon will send a small percentage of the purchase price to the Gluten Free Club (at no extra cost to you!). We appreciate and value your support, thank you!
To see all our favorite kitchen items we use and recommend in; Bakeware, Cookware, Small Appliances, Kitchen Tools & Gadgets, Knives, and Recommended Cookbooks, visit our shopping page at our Amazon.com eStore – Gluten Free Club